When a person reaches the stage of ihsaan, his walking, talking, sitting and so on all become ibaadah (worship) because he is conscious of Allah at all times; thus, his whole life becomes ibaadah. However before a person can reach this lofty stage he must firstly become constant in, and perfect, 8 beginning stages:
1. Constancy in purity and worship,
2. Constancy in fasting,
3. Constancy in silence,
4. Constancy in solitude,
5. Constancy in the remembrance of Allah سبحانه وتعالى,
6. Constancy in negating stray thoughts,
7. Constancy in the company of one’s spiritual guide,
8. Contentment with the Decree of Allah سبحانه وتعالى.
[This short excerpt is based on a brothers’ majlis (gathering for spiritual training) held by Shaykh Abu Yusuf Riyadh ul Haq on 11th March 2000].